Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dobry wieczór

I checked our blog stats this evening and noticed that most of our traffic comes from the United States. However, we've had 2 visitors from Poland this month. So, in honor of our Polish friends I've labeled this blog entry with the Polish phrase for "Good Evening".

Now, neither Andrew nor I speak Polish (although we do speak some Russian, which is somewhat similar) so before anybody goes away thinking that we have some Polish language skills - we don't, well, none aside from what Google gives us.



Life hasn't really been super exciting (good or bad) the last couple of weeks so we haven't had much to blog about. Our apartment is still a work in progress, and I fear any "in progress" photos would only cause heart attacks by unassuming bystanders (really, they're probably not that bad). The kitchen is almost completely finished from top to bottom and side to side and everything has a place - well, "almost everything". We're still working out a couple of glitches.


Anyway, I decided to take this opportunity to talk about everything I know about Poland. (Please indulge me, it's really not a lot)



There's the composer Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin who was Polish. I looked him up on Wikipedia and learned that there's apparently some dispute as to the date of his birth - some sources give 22 February while others give 1 March 1810. Interesting! I did not know that!
For food there's - kielbasa, pierogi, and kapusta (cabbage)


Then there's the -The Treaty of Warsaw -According to Wikipedia this was a treaty between West Germany (Federal Republic of Germany) and the People's Republic of Poland. It was signed by Chancellor Willy Brandt and Prime Minister Józef Cyrankiewicz at the Presidential Palace on 7 December 1970, and it was ratified by the German Bundestag on 17 May 1972. In the treaty, both sides committed themselves to nonviolence and accepted the existing border - the Oder-Neisse line, imposed on Germany by the Allied powers at the 1945 Potsdam Conference following the end of World War II.



Sadly, that's about all I know about Poland. I'm sure Andrew knows a lot more, but he's asleep and I'm sure he wouldn't be thrilled if I woke him up to ask him everything he knows about Poland.




No comments:

Post a Comment